Leadership Santa Fe is a program designed to meet Santa Fe’s need for young community leaders; teaching leadership skills, job/college preparedness, and civic engagement. We aim to enhance youth leadership resources for the community of Santa Fe. Youth Leadership Santa Fe accomplishes this by giving civic-minded youth a vehicle for their community-oriented energies and providing access to community leaders and policy makers. Our program will be held in conjunction with the Teamwork in Action Program of the Santa Fe Community College.
Over the course of eight months, Youth Leadership Santa Fe participants will attend workshops focused on building leadership skills and sessions dedicated to various civic awareness topics. Participants meet with established leaders in county and city governments, business, education, human services and the arts, and explore ways to meet the challenges of Santa Fe’s future and discover their own passion or the future. This integrated form of leadership building ensures that each youth identifies his/her strengths as a potential leader in the community, learns about public service and civics engagement and cultivates a network of community youth leaders. Students will earn up to three college credits and one dual credit. Applications are being taken until September 19th for the 2018 class.
• Up to 30 ninth, tenth, and eleventh grade participants attend a series of eight one–day sessions on Saturdays over an 8-month period. The program would start in October and continue monthly through May. Arrival at Santa Fe Community College is at 8 a.m. every session day.
• Civics will be in the morning from 8:30 a.m.-12:00 p.m. After lunch, leadership skills from 1:00-4:00. Pick up is at 4:15 sharp.
• There will be one field trip, speaker or panel per morning. After speaking, the speaker or panel will lead the youth in a workshop related to the civics topic.
• Most sessions will be at Santa Fe Community College or involve field trips to local organizations or locations, such as the Santa Fe Fire Department Training Academy during our Public Safety session.
• Many afternoon sessions will be on the Ropes Challenge Course at SFCC.
• There will be an all-day family ropes course and group celebration on a separate Saturday in May.
Youth Leadership Santa Fe – Class of 2018 Session Dates
Dates & Topics:
Session I – Saturday, September 30– Opening Session (MANDATORY), Parent Meeting, Leadership Development
Session II – Saturday, October 21 – Public Safety (Santa Fe Fire Department), Leadership Development
Session III – Saturday, November 18 – The Arts, Leadership Development
Optional/Community Service – December
Session IV – Saturday, December 09 –Economic Development, Entrepreneurship, Leadership Development
Session V – Saturday, January 6– Science and Technology (Pajarito Scientific Corp.), Leadership Development
Session VI – Saturday, February 10– Local Government (New Mexico Legislature), Leadership Development
Session VII – Saturday, March 10 – Health & Substance Abuse Awareness, Leadership Development
Family Day – Saturday, April 21 — Ropes Course, Invite 2 family members
Session VIII – Saturday, May 5 – Education (Higher Education Center), Leadership Development
Graduation – May 2018 – (date TBD)
The session topics are subject to change.
Civic Sessions: Public Safety, Entrepreneurship, Science & Technology, Health and Substance Abuse, Local Government, the Arts, Education
8 a.m. arrival at Santa Fe Community College/pick-up at 4:15 p.m. sharp
To apply for the 2017-18 program, download the application here. Once your application is complete, send it to email@example.com.
Please email the Program Director for more information.
If you would like to donate to the Youth Leadership Santa Fe Scholarship Fund, your contribution would be much appreciated.