We are now accepting applications for the 2017-2018 program year. To apply, DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE! Send your completed application to Valerie Alarid, the Program Director. Applications are taken on a rolling basis from April 15th to September 19th.
Youth Leadership Santa Fe is a program designed to meet Santa Fe’s need for young community leaders; teaching leadership, college preparedness, and civic engagement. We aim to enhance youth leadership resources for the community of Santa Fe. Youth Leadership Santa Fe accomplishes this by giving civic-minded youth a vehicle for their community-oriented energies and providing access to community leaders and policy makers.
Over the course of eight months, Youth Leadership Santa Fe participants attend workshops focused on building leadership skills and sessions dedicated to various civic awareness topics. Participants meet with established leaders in county and city governments, business, education, human services and the arts, and explore ways to meet the challenges of Santa Fe’s future. This integrated form of leadership building ensures that each youth identifies his/her strengths as a potential leader in the community, learns about public service, civic engagement, and cultivates a network of community youth leaders.
The Youth Program is modeled after the Adult Program and gives youth opportunities to learn more about their community, meet adult leaders, and develop leadership skills.
• Up to 30 ninth, tenth, and eleventh-grade participants will attend a series of nine one–day sessions on Saturdays over an 8-month period. The program will start in September and continue monthly through May. Arrival at Santa Fe Community College is at 8:45 a.m. every session day.
• Students will earn up to three college credits, and one dual credit if they attend a participating high school.
• Civics will be in the morning from 8:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. After lunch, which will be provided, we will teach leadership skills from 1:00-4:00.
• There will be one field trip, speaker or panel per morning. After speaking, the speaker or panel will lead the youth in a workshop related to the civics topic.
• Most sessions will be at Santa Fe Community College or involve field trips to local organizations or locations, such as the Santa Fe Fire Department Training Academy during our Public Safety session.
• Many afternoon sessions will be on the Ropes Challenge Course at SFCC.
• There will be an all-day family ropes course and group celebration on a separate Saturday in May.
8:45 a.m. arrival at Santa Fe Community College/ pick-up at 4:15 p.m. sharp
Testimonials from 2014-15 participants and parents available here.
Please email the Program Director for more information.
To apply, DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION HERE!
If you would like to donate to the Youth Leadership Santa Fe Scholarship Fund, your contribution would be much appreciated. A funding request and informational sheet for potential donors can be downloaded here.
Youth Leadership Santa Fe – Class of 2018 Session Dates
Dates & Topics:
Session I – Saturday, September 30– Opening Session (MANDATORY), Parent Meeting, Leadership Development
Session II – Saturday, October 21 – Public Safety (Santa Fe Fire Department), Leadership Development
Session III – Saturday, November 18 – The Arts, Leadership Development
Optional/Community Service – December
Session IV – Saturday, December 09 –Economic Development, Entrepreneurship, Leadership Development
Session V – Saturday, January 6– Science and Technology (Pajarito Scientific Corp.), Leadership Development
Session VI – Saturday, February 10– Local Government (New Mexico Legislature), Leadership Development
Session VII – Saturday, March 10 – Health & Substance Abuse Awareness, Leadership Development
Family Day – Saturday, April 21 — Ropes Course, Invite 2 family members
Session VIII – Saturday, May 5 – Education (Higher Education Center), Leadership Development
Graduation – May 2018 – (date TBD)
The session topics are subject to change